Attention All Customers:
Due to delays in processing times at the tannery and the relative difficulty of obtaining supplies currently, we will be unable to take on any new orders until at least January. We have a responsibility to deliver projects to our existing customers who have been patiently waiting prior to taking on new commitments. Thank you for your understanding, and please feel free to reach out to us in the meantime with any questions or to discuss starting a project after this timeframe has passed.
PROPER CARE FOR YOUR HIDE
Better Quality Hides Make Better Quality Mounts!
Prior to the Hunt
1. Think about the type of mount that you are considering prior to your hunt and/or skinning the animal. Not having a plan for the mount can significantly limit your options.
2. Check to see if your outfitter has a sled for proper transport. Dragging the animal on the ground can seriously damage the hair from the hide.
Proper Hide Care After Harvesting
1. Remove the hide AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! Once removed, cool down and freeze the hide AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Fold the hide loosely instead of rolling it tightly. It is important to allow air to cool down the hide. Bacteria and moisture go hand in hand. Less moisture. Less Bacteria!
2. The ideal bag would be a burlap bag when freezing because of its mesh material which allows for greater air flow. This will help the animal will freeze quicker. Avoid using plastic bags unless the animal is already frozen. A plastic trash bag will hold moisture which will promote bacteria.
3. It is not uncommon to leave the animal skull intact within the hide. Your taxidermist is properly trained to remove the skull without damaging the eyes, ears and lips.
4. Limit the amount of fat left on the hide. The more fat, the longer it takes to freeze – Which allows more time for bacteria to form. When the taxidermist is prepping your hide, having more fat can also slow the process of thawing which can in turn, allow for more bacteria to form once again.
Please feel free to give us a call at (978) 771-4185. We enjoy giving the additional knowledge ahead of time to generate a quality lifetime trophy!